maandag 18 maart 2013

The search for nickel free jewelry

When you're allergic to nickel, it isn't always easy to buy jewelry. Pure gold contains no nickel, but is expensive. And when you like silver better, the options are more limited. Copper and bronze contain nickel as well.
In my time I have bought lots of jewelry that claimed to be nickel free, but did cause me irritation. A waste of money!

As a jewelry maker with a severe nickel allergy, there are times I have to work with gloves on and remember that I cannot touch my face for as long as I haven't taken off the gloves or washed my hands. I guess I chose the wrong hobby. :-) But I like it so much that I just can't stop.

When I make nickel-free jewelry for my shop, especially earrings, I always make a pair for myself and give them a test drive for a couple of weeks. When I am certain that they don't cause me irritation, I'm safe to state that they don't contain nickel.

Other options for allergy-sufferers are wooden jewelry and plastic items. This is a great choice for beaded necklaces and bangles.
Putting some clear nail polish on the inside of rings and bangles helps too, but has to be repeated every once in a while to be effective.

Looking for that nickel-free piece to complete your new outfit? Here are some suggestions:





Are you allergic to nickel? What kind of jewelry do you wear?



1 opmerking:

  1. Hello there! I have a nickel allergy as well I found out a couple months ago. I have been a long time earring wearer and wow it is sad not being able to wear pretty much any of my jewelry. This nickel allergy can really be a life changer with so many things. Anyways, I do happen to have some special jewelry that were gifts that I love, Swarovski brand. I contacted the company and they let me know that there stainless steel and other metals used do not contain any nickel in them. Yahoo! Any ways hope that helps, they have nice crystals and sometimes you can find good deals at outlet stores and online. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen